My mother earned her degree this week (or at least this was the week to celebrate her successful graduation from college in December). After 45 years, and with a very persistent spirit, she graduated with degrees in History and French. I felt so proud of her! I listened online to the convocation and grew teary-eyed as they had the graduates stand and the stadium erupted in applause. What an accomplishment!
My oldest officially earned his Eagle Scout award this week. His board of review consisted of an 80 minute interview in which he shared the things that scouting and his Eagle project had taught him. He came out looking a little glassy-eyed, but happy. He felt that the Lord really helped him as he answered the many questions. I am so grateful for the power of the Spirit to direct our lives!
My second son got his official driver's permit in the mail this week. Driving hadn't been high on his agenda, but it is on mine, so my husband I agreed to purchase some computer software he was interested in if he completed 12 hours of reading and 6 hours of driving. The software is for making video games (apples don't fall far from trees in this house!), and it has been a great incentive! Now just 20 more hours of reading and 38 more hours of driving. But at least we are currently on a roll, and that helps.
My third son and I were able to finish up outstanding requirements in three merit badges today and that earned him a rank advancement in Boy Scouts. He and his dad went to a Boy Scout shooting experience yesterday where they shot bows and arrows, black powder rifles, muskets, and shotguns. They really enjoyed it.
My daughter was chosen to be a part of the Junior National Honor Society and is very pleased! I'm excited to see the service opportunities she takes on in this new arena. She will turn 13 on Friday.
My youngest is learning to mow the lawn on his own so he can earn money to buy the things he is interested in. He and his brothers will go camping with their dad this weekend on the annual "Father and Sons" campout. (My daughter and I always do something fun together while they are gone!)
Cub scouts were held at our house this week and for one activity the boys sewed bean bags using my sewing machine. None of them had sewn before, and it was neat to see them tackle that new task.
I have been leading the music time in our children's group at Church (we call the children's group "Primary") for the last couple of weeks since the current leader just had a baby. I have really enjoyed doing this again. It has been 12 to 15 years since I have been the music leader in Primary. I cannot remember all of the page numbers for the songs anymore, but the techniques for engaging children came back in a hurry. I am grateful for the opportunities I had for so many years to learn from and with children in a gospel music setting!
I'm not sure what to tell you about my husband. I know that he is completing milestones at work, but I think he is most often engaged in helping all of the rest of us in this house to complete our milestones. I am grateful for his service to our family!
Happy here. Grateful for our Savior.
(Trying to be patient while we wait to hear something about traveling to meet our girls!)
No comments:
Post a Comment